By Mindy Cabral, The Magazine of Santa Clarita, September 2011
The prime time to study music is from infancy through the elementary years. During this period of time, children are absorbing and learning skills and behaviors from everything and everyone around them. Studying music can have positive effects on this crucial time.
It’s time to get enrolled in after-school activities so how about taking music lessons?! Before you decide where to go or what to do, consider how to get the most out of your lessons. These suggestions will assist you in making the best decision when choosing a music program for your child. This guide comes from years of teaching experience from infant to adult age students.
1. Age-appropriate Approaches – Private lessons are a great way for students to focus on their own individual needs. Group classes have some added benefits such as: ensemble playing, motivation, self-confidence, less expensive, and learning is fun with friends! Consider different options to find what works best for your own musical goals.
2. Learning Environment – It is convenient to have lessons in your home, but there are many distractions. Stay focused and get the most out of your lessons by learning in a professional environment that specifically meets the needs of a music student.
3. Regular Practice Times – Make the commitment to learning and schedule a regular practice time everyday. Begin with shorter practice sessions and as you become more advanced, the time you spend practicing will increase naturally.
4. Repetition vs. Time – Practicing is just like completing homework. When you are finished playing through your assignment, you are finished with for the day. Practice with a purpose. Setting realistic goals is the key.
5. Rewards – Everyone deserves recognition for hard work especially when you’ve accomplished something great!
Don’t forget to HAVE FUN! Music should be something that you enjoy for a lifetime. Everyone learns at a different pace and the key is to be able to enjoy the journey. All ages are welcome to come learn music in an environment that is comfortable to you. Registration is open for all group classes, ensembles, and private lessons.
Little School of Music 28306 Constellation Rd. • 661-222-2239 • www.LittleSchoolofMusic.com
© copyright 2011